April 12, 2011

Heel Stompers


We are fragile, but this is not a tragedy 
Described as the softer gender 
We are the ones with the gentle touch
Who have done the most hitting 
Our lips are a specific red 
Not a crimson or cherry 
Centimeters away from the microphone 
Staring at our mouths- not hearing words
The doors of corporate America only remain open so wide
Let’s just hope that is enough 
For our lace covered legs to walk right through 
So we can stomp our heels onto the soil plowed by the other kind 
A monument to commemorate the differences between the stick figures on each public bathroom door
Cold stone, constructed with the proper curves and clashing corners 
Standing only so near the statue it sits next to 
A monument to commemorate the differences between just us
I am a she, but I am not like her 
Her sharp stilettos may be red like my lips,
But my Chuck Taylor’s aren’t as black as her lace
I am not one of those angry feminists 
I am a she, but I am not like her 
We are whole, though 
Softer, but not afraid to strike
A scrape from her manicured nails 
Or a dirty punch from my uneven knuckles 
We are not afraid