January 5, 2012

January 5, 2012

I have an oral fixation
For the grinding of your bones between my molars.
Tripping over cerebral nets
That form a staircase beneath
Photos of you and I
That I can't seem to shake


Shaking off past damage
I can't say we're holy,
but God dammit
I prayed for someone
Who has hands like you.


I'd like to fold up every night with you
And save it in an envelope .
I'll mail a thousand kisses,
At the end of every year
I can taste you on my teeth.


There is a beautiful tone of forgiveness
That slips beneath my skin
Every time we scream at each other.
Im sorry wouldn't suffice on either ends of our shared spectrum--
But the hands you place between
My shoulder blades
Are the same ones I squeeze tight
Both on the mattress
And in the car,
We'd drive for hours.


I have an oral fixation
For your eyelashes
As floss.
Cleanse my gums of
Each time I left
I always came back.


I traced sentences with my fingers
On the back of your hand
In your basement
Where alcohol has stained the counters
Where our voices splattered the walls,
I wrote,
"I am still in love with you."